Promo Videos: What, Why, & How
As marketers, it can be difficult to determine the right style of promo video to gain the most from your budget. This is why you need the best promo video maker available.
While they’re great tools for driving engagement, longer promo video ads tend to have a big problem—they’re not designed for quick, effective communication.
Instead, one of the more popular videos types for this fast-paced style is the promotional video ad.
In 2020, promo video ads are incredibly popular since they can communicate ample information rapidly to even the most distracted viewer.
Keep reading to explore the ins, outs, and some great tips to choose the right promo video maker to deliver first-class results every time.
What Are Promo Videos?
While it may seem like any short video can be a promo, or that any promo is an ad, there’s a little more that goes into this video format.
Promotional videos can definitely be advertisements, but the objectives can range from informing customers and simply showing off your cool products in a fun format to launching events or undertaking new initiatives.
Promo video makers are designed to make your life easier when producing a promo.
Instead of having to drop half your budget on editing, you can download a quick video maker app and use your smartphone’s amazing camera to do the trick.
With promo video makers, you can swiftly put together a great quality clip that highlights your best features and attributes.
Why Do I Need a Promo Video?
There are several excellent reasons behind why you should consider downloading a promo video maker and trying your own hand. Promo videos let you:
- Make your brand relatable. Promos are a great way to highlight not just your products, but your team. Show your CEO talking passionately about your company or provide your employees with the chance to shine by giving a tour of your offices.
- Give visitors something to draw them in. A short, engaging video can help set the tone and get viewers interested in what you’re selling.
- Introduce your products in a fun way. Articles and ads are great for certain purposes, but video gives you a chance to really cut loose. Creating a fun demo can make it easier to sell a product or service and build more hype around it.
How Do I Make a Promo Video?
While you need a great concept and proper execution to make an awesome video, there are some ways you can make your life easier when filming.
- Have the right tools – You don’t need a fancy camera or a $1,000 editing suite. Your smartphone’s camera is powerful enough, especially when used with great promo video makers like VideoBoost, which lets you quickly edit and produce amazing video ads with pre-made or unique footage in under 3 minutes.
- Know what your goal is – Promos aren’t necessarily sales-oriented, but you should know exactly what you’re going for. Having a goal in mind helps you make better decisions about the type of footage you need to capture.
- Keep it short and simple – Promo videos are meant to be short, so get to the point, and make it a good one at that. Focus on the most important messaging and remove excessive explanations that can distract or detract from your goals.
As for an example easy to use template from a promo video maker such as our Boosted app, watch the clip below to see how you can make your own promo video ad in less than 3 minutes. Below is a basic but professional promo video advertisement template for a yoga business. Watch how easy it is to make:
What Makes A Good Promo Video?
In theory, creating a promo video for your business may seem fairly straightforward. And while making a video isn’t the most complicated thing in the world, there certainly are a couple of key elements that you won’t want to forget when it comes to making your own promo videos.
Below, we’ll go over a few quick tips to help you understand what exactly goes into making a good promotional video for businesses.
- Keep it focused – No matter what you plan on promoting in your video, you need to ensure that the topic is clear and focused, surrounding only the relevant details of your promotion. So, for instance, if you’re creating a promo video for an event, you’ll want to make sure your video covers only relevant topics, such as where and when the event will be held, and what your guests can expect to experience.
- Make it a teaser – When creating effective promotional videos, the goal is never to take a deep, insightful look into a product or service. Instead, the goal is to provide its viewers with a short, attention-grabbing trailer, which highlights a certain event or topic, in order to get the viewer interested in learning more. A good promo video should always use fast cut scenes, sound bites, and titles that make the information catchy and easy to remember.
- Keep it scripted – Especially if you’re somewhat of a goofy or fun-loving person, you might be tempted to use improvised content for your promotional videos. While there’s nothing wrong with doing this, we highly recommend that you stick to using planned, scripted content for your videos. Keeping your video’s dialogue scripted ensures that you’ll be discussing the right information at all times, without ever straying too far from the point.
- Create multiple edits – You’re obviously going to want to make the most out of your promotional videos, which means using them on as many different channels as possible. Therefore, it’s a good idea to try and make multiple different versions of your videos, so that you’ll be able to use them on different channels, and you’ll be able to keep your feeds from getting to be too repetitive.
- Graphics are key – When making promotional videos, it’s vital that you use some type of visual graphics, be it logos, banners, discount codes, or dates and times, to help add a bit of an attention-grabbing, visual appeal. Using visual graphics can help make the viewer aware of the key facts that you want/need them to remember.
In the end, creating a good promotional video isn’t really all that complicated.
The main things to remember are that the video needs to clearly focus on a single topic or event, which helps convey the most important information. And, that you can use flashy, memorable graphics to get your viewers to remember certain key details conveyed in your videos.
So by focusing on the information you want your viewers to retain, and by trying to add a visually appealing edge to your videos, you should easily be able to create promotional videos that will entice consumers to want to learn more about your brand.
5 Awesome Promo Video Ads to Inspire in 2020:
Now that we understand the qualities needed in order to make a standout video, it’s time to put your promo video maker skills to the test.
One of the best ways to do this is taking inspiration from other brands, here we take a look at five standout promotional video over the years to inspire your video making for 2020
- Marks and Spencers
To the backdrop of a popular track, Marks and Spencers created a lively and vibrant promotion video to show off their healthy food range. Already known for their indulgent and upmarket food choices, the British brand uses a choice of uplifting colours with ever-changing graphics, to highlight the freshness of their product range.
Their promo video maker obviously knows a thing or two about synchronicity as the soundtrack is times to the graphics, helping to keep viewers engaged throughout. Cleverly, it keeps text to a minimum, instead letting the video do the talking.
- Dollar Shave Club
Bringing fun and humour to an otherwise dry subject, Dollar Shave Club clearly gets its key messages across right from the get go. Pushing their value for money message, it’s clear what their USP is straight away.
Facing an already well-established market, they take the ‘disruptor brand’ approach, and as you can see, it pays off.
Proving that you don’t have to spend a fortune to create a much-talked about video, they paid $4,500 to promo video maker to produce this, and to date, it’s had 11 million views!
- Sealy Hybrid Mattress
Deviating from the usual promo video maker route, Sealy opt for bright happy graphics to sell their hybrid mattress. This dovetails into its investment in innovation and technology, showing that it’s a forward-thinking brand.
Using vibrant colours and their product as the ‘hero’, they clearly demonstrate why you need their hybrid mattress in your life. It’s hard to not feel enriched after watching it!
The animations draws in the viewer throughout the video, making it a compelling watch in a fun way. If you look back at the key targets we talk about in the intro, you’ll see this ticks all boxes.
It’s not easy to make mouthwash videos sexy. However, Listerine have developed a well-produced promo video, that explains the journey of their brand.
Like all good promo videos, it answers your questions and incentivises you with reasons to buy their product. With a nod to well-proven advertising techniques, the promo video maker has also given you reasons why you need Listerine, playing on the ‘fear’ of bacteria.
Produced to a high-standard, it sets the benchmark for other animated promo videos.
Going down the ‘shock and awe’ route with a handful of comedy thrown in, Blendtec have raised smiles and over 300 million views with their ‘will it blend video’.
In this simple demonstration, they dump an iPad in their blender, and yes – blend it up! It’s one in a long line of promo videos made by the company that showcases their blending prowess in a fun and entertaining way. Much like the Million Dollar Shave campaign, they’ve also opted for using their own CEO, giving it a personal touch that makes you like the brand even more.
5 Fun, Creative Commercial Promo Videos to Inspire in 2020:
In this promo video, which is no longer than 60 seconds in length, Starbucks takes us through a full year of positivity and kindness, by depicting videos of customers and employees celebrating a range of charitable acts.
By using basic human emotions like happiness and kindness, Starbucks truly attempts to resonate with its customers.
After all, who doesn’t want to deal with brands that are happy and kind, right?
In order to promote its newly released VR technology, Samsung created this fun and captivating promo video, where viewers are taken along on a fully-immersive, 3D ride with Santa and his sleigh.
The fact is that most virtual reality videos are extremely visually appealing, but, they lack any sort of narrative.
That’s why Samsung decided to use something relevant and memorable, i.e. Santa and his sleigh; which helps make the video more relatable and immersive to its viewers.
Plus, who doesn’t love the idea of going for a ride with Santa Claus?
3. Hostel World
Sometimes, there are simply no better ways to connect with your audience than by using a bit of clever, tongue-in-cheek humor.
And that’s exactly what Hostelworld did when they teamed up with the world-famous, Charlie Sheen, in order to make this short 16-second promo video.
In the video, you simply see Charlie Sheen cooking for a group of youths in a seemingly civilized kitchen, which is used as an ironic reminder to viewers that staying in hostels (and that even Charlie Sheen himself) doesn’t have to be uncivilized.
This clever use of humor not only makes the viewer laugh or smile when they see the clip, but it also works to help make the video (and the brand) more memorable.
When Google initially launched its Virtual Assistant promo video, they made sure to use a combination of visual appealing, single-shot, zoom in/out graphics, and a bit of clever dialogue to depict the problems that their product is meant to resolve.
By the time you’re done watching the video, you have a very clear idea of what the product is, as well as what it’s capable of doing.
Google also does an excellent job of adding a touch of humor to their video, which helps make the clip that much more memorable.
Slack is an online platform that makes it easier for teams of freelancers and remote workers to collaborate together on projects.
In order to drum up a bit of buzz surrounding the company’s launch, the company decided to release this quirky video, which is reminiscent of an episode of a TV comedy show.
Once again, the effective use of humor is used in order to depict the problems that the company and its product solve. And by keeping things light-hearted and funny, the video is significantly more enjoyable and more memorable to anyone who sees it.