The Ultimate Guide to Ideal Video Size for Every Social Platform
So you’ve produced some awesome video content and are ready to release it to the masses! Before you share, you may want to take a minute to think about your video’s dimensions. If you want your viewers to fully enjoy the content you’ve made for them, you need to make sure they’re the right size.
Why? Because videos that aren’t the right size won’t display well. Bits of the video might be cut off, or it might appear too small on the screens of viewers’ devices. That can be off-putting — to a point where viewers might just give up and avoid watching the video altogether. You don’t want all your hard work to go to waste!
Below we’ve compiled an official guide to video sizes across all social platforms, so you can be confident that your video content will be enjoyed exactly as you intend it to be.
Instagram Video Size
On Instagram, there are actually 3 different platforms for video: the Feed, Stories, and IGTV.
For Stories and IGTV, the ideal dimensions are 1080×1920 pixels: that is, 1080 pixels wide and 1920 pixels tall. Stories and IGTV were made to be viewed vertically on smartphones, so these dimensions will fill out the screen best and give your viewers optimum quality.
The Feed is more flexible: you can use videos with an aspect ratio anywhere between 1.91:1 and 4:5, which gives you a wide range of options. The ideal dimensions for these aspect ratios are 1080×608 pixels and 1080×1350 pixels.
So which of these is best? It depends on your content, but keep in mind that most people scrolling through your feed are going to be viewing the video in vertical or portrait mode. That means that landscape-oriented videos will show up smaller on their screens. Vertical videos (1080×1350 pixels) will fill up more of their screen and engage them better. Here is a more in depth guide on Instagram video formatting, and be sure to check our Instagram video ad maker here!
YouTube Video Size
The ideal video size for YouTube is 1920×1080 pixels. Unlike Instagram videos, YouTube videos are most often viewed in landscape mode.
What do you do if your video was taken in portrait mode and you want to post it on YouTube or another platform that only supports landscape videos? Here are a couple suggestions:
- If your video is high enough resolution, you can crop it to 1920×1080 pixels. Of course, this will mean that the top and bottom of the video will be cut off, so this only works if there isn’t anything important that will be trimmed.
- Insert a background behind your vertical video. This removes the unsightly black bars on either side of the vertical image and gives the impression of filling out the screen while keeping the video intact.
TikTok Video Size
TikTok is a new video sharing app that’s been making a big splash, and its potential for video content marketing has yet to be fully explored. Vertical videos are preferred on TikTok (though horizontal ones are allowed), and the dimensions need to be 1080×1920 pixels — which is the same as Instagram Stories and IGTV. That makes it easy to create a video that can be shared to both platforms. Check our our TikTok video maker here!
LinkedIn Video Size
There are two ways to post videos on LinkedIn: embedded video hosted somewhere else, or uploading directly to LinkedIn. The major advantage of the native video hosting is that videos uploaded directly to LinkedIn autoplay on silent — and that’s been shown to boost engagement significantly.
LinkedIn videos can be anywhere between 256×144 pixels and 4069×2304 pixels.
LinkedIn Ad videos range from 480×360 pixels to 1920×1080 pixels. Note that Linkedin Ads only supports horizontal videos! See our recommendations for YouTube above for adapting vertical videos to horizontal. Check our out LinkedIn video maker for ads here.
Twitter Video Size
Though Twitter allows videos ranging from 32×32 pixels to 1920×1200 pixels, they display best on Twitter at 1280×1024 pixels. Read more about video formatting for Twitter here. And if you plan to create a promo video for your Twitter page, check out our video maker for Twitter here!
Facebook Video Size
The ideal dimensions for Facebook videos are 1280×720 pixels (for horizontal videos) or 720×1280 pixels (for vertical videos).
When it comes to Facebook Ads, there are 6 different types of video, each with their own specifications:
- Desktop News Feed Link: 1280×720 pixels
- Carousel Video Ads: 1080×1080 pixels
- Collection Video Ads (on mobile): 1200×628 pixels
- Canvas Video Ads Within News Feed (on mobile): 1200×628 pixels
- Autoplay Video Within Canvas Ad (on mobile): 1280×720 pixels
- Slideshow Video Ad: 1200×720 pixels
1. Check the dimensions of each video you’re posting to make sure it fits the ideal size for the social platform you’re sharing it to.
2. If the dimensions aren’t right, or if you want to adapt your video to fit other social platforms, use a video editor to change the dimensions. The Boosted app makes it super easy!